BREAK NEW GROUND WITH THE ALL-NEW 49X
Introducing what isn’t just the best truck we’ve ever built, but what might be the best truck anyone has ever built. The all-new 49X was built from the ground up to bring toughness into the modern age with an impressive collection of engineering, technology and more than half a century of experience building trucks that take on any challenge, anywhere. So, whether you need a rugged vocational truck or a semi truck, and whether you’ve owned Western Star for years or will for the first time, it’s time to break new ground with the all-new 49X.
BUILT WITH ONE GOAL IN MIND
We spent half a decade designing and engineering the all-new 49X to be the best vocational truck on the market. Period. To achieve that, the 49X had to meet seven benchmarks we established at the start of the project. And we put it to the test to make sure it delivered on every one of them.
ENGINEERED FOR UPFIT.
The 49X was built with Truck Equipment Manufacturers (TEMs) in mind. We designed the truck to ease body upfit for every type of truck including dump trucks, cement mixers, cranes, and engineered it with features to make it fast and simple to access wiring and add controls.
All 49X technical details can be found in the Technical Resource Guide (TRG). For access to the TRG, log onto DTNAConnect.com.
QUICKFIT INTERFACE SYSTEM
The all-new QuickFit Interface System makes it easier than ever to integrate truck equipment to the vehicle’s electrical power sources. It features an advanced multiplexed electrical system designed for easy TEM interface, programming and access to power. Other features include:
- Electronic control units stored in the cab E-Vault for easy access
- Key components protected from the elements and accessed without having to use hand tools
- Additional exterior lighting interface for snow plow, beacon and utility lights
- All-new PTO control architecture designed to simplify complex PTO control logic programming
- TEM-specific power distribution module
- High-current power access
Western Star’s proprietary CHEC Tool is the interface to the 49X’s programmable controllers, enabling TEMs and dealers to view and modify electrical configurations on the 49X.
KEY BENEFITS OF THE CHEC TOOL:
- The CHEC Tool reduces upfit time and makes the customization process user friendly. CHEC gives you the power to customize inputs and outputs and change parameters within minutes — entirely within your organization
- Standard templates can be created for your organization, enabling you to select pre-existing configurations based on different applications or customers
- The CHEC Tool increases customization possibilities, such as creating custom dash layouts for your customers. This tool is a powerful way for you to better serve your customers’ unique needs
The 49X chassis was designed to make it easier than ever to mount bodies for any application. The mid-chassis packaging offered on the 49X includes features that deliver clear back-of-cab to ensure more efficient body integration.
- DEF TANKS: 8-, 13-, and 23-gallon capacities — all mounted in the most forward position for consistent fill and fender gaps.
- BATTERY BOXES: Standard battery box mounting inside the cab and under the passenger seat to optimize open frame space. Battery boxes can also be mounted between rails or frame-mounted.
- AIR TANKS: Can be mounted below battery box, inside or below frame rail, or perpendicular to the frame. Aluminum air tanks are available for additional weight savings.
- FUEL TANKS: 25-inch diameter with capacities from 60 to 150 gallons, and can be mounted either side fore or aft.
- AIR DRYER: Consistent mounting locations to ease upfit.
THE X-SERIES CAB.
MAKING LEGENDARY PERFORMANCE LIGHTER AND SAFER.
Constructed from an aerospace-grade aluminum and enhanced with steel reinforcements, the new X-Series cab is light, safe, strong and spacious so that it can help protect and retain operators while delivering greater payload and uptime for a variety of demanding applications including dump trucks, cement mixers, log trucks and heavy haul.
- TRENCH-STYLE LOW ROOF: Composite roof with a lowered center section enables optimized packaging of overcab equipment, minimizing overall vehicle height while maximizing interior headroom and door openings.
- STRUCTURAL OPTIMIZATION: Our engineers used state-of-the-art technology to place structural material and reinforcements strategically to minimize weight while maximizing toughness and safety.
- ENGINE TUNNEL: Quiet Steel®* engine tunnel reduces engine noise intrusion into the cab to provide a premium operating environment.
- VOCATIONAL TUNED CAB SUSPENSION: Our front and rear cab mounts reduce fatigue by providing optimal cab stability and a premium operator environment.
THE X-SERIES DOOR
The X-Series door is designed as an integral part of the steel-reinforced aluminum cab structure. Built from rugged steel and designed to be easy to service, it will deliver greater uptime and operator comfort for years to come.
C-BAR MIRROR SYSTEM
We designed our new mirrors to deliver what your operators need and more, with features that enhance visibility, reduce operator fatigue, improve safety and increase uptime. You’ll never look at a mirror the same way again.
- C-BAR ARMS: Reduced profile for greater forward visibility and reduced resistance.
- MOUNTING SYSTEM: Optimized and stiffened to avoid low-frequency and low-engine speed vibrations.
- HEATING OPTIONS: Optional heating system keeps mirrors free from frost and snow.
- INTEGRATED TURN SIGNALS: Easy-to-see integrated signals offer added safety for operators and other motorists.
REAR WINDOW OPTIONS
The 49X gives you the options to meet the demands of your application, including a new three-window configuration that increases the rear window area by 77% over previous models and impact-resistant polycarbonate to help protect you from costly window replacements.
- OPTIONAL THREE-PIECE REAR WINDOW
- STANDARD SINGLE REAR WINDOW
- OPTIONAL SOLID WALL
STRONGER. LIGHTER. BETTER. THAN EVER.
Engineered to improve durability and performance, as well as provide the best operator visibility possible. The new molded resin hood is nearly 100 pounds lighter than our previous hood, and is designed to resist high impacts to last the life of the vehicle. Strength and durability while reducing weight so your operation can haul more and make more.
BUILT FOR THE CHALLENGE.
The heavy-duty vocational frame underneath the 49X is engineered to stand up to the demands of severe service applications like construction, logging and heavy haul trucking while being lighter weight, more durable, easier to service and extremely Truck Equipment Manufacturer (TEM) friendly.
POWER TAKE OFFS
From snowplows and mixers to bulk haul tractors and everything in between, the wide selection of options on the 49X lets you choose the right combination of front engine PTOs (FEPTO) and transmission-mounted PTOs so you can install the equipment you need for your application.
PURPOSE BUILT OPTIONS
- BUMPERS: The 49X offers three bumper styles in various finishes and thicknesses, as well as a boxed-in bumper with an optional grille guard for logging applications.
- FRONT TOW DEVICES: A number of towing device options mounted directly to the front frame head of the 49X for increased strength and durability with up to 140,000 lb tow capacity.
- TOOL BOXES: Durable, lightweight aluminum tool boxes are available in 18-, 24-, and 34-inch widths. All are locking and can be ordered with plain, polished or diamond plate finish covers.
- BATTERY BOXES: Battery boxes in the 49X can be mounted between rails, inside the cab or on the frame. The frame-mounted boxes are also made from lightweight, corrosion-resistant aluminum for long life.
- ACCESS HATCH: Optional left-side access hatch available for easy check of key fluid levels without opening the hood or removing front-mounted equipment.
- AIR CLEANER OPTIONS: The optional pre-cleaner removes 80% of the particles out of the air before entering the primary air cleaner, extending filter life and service intervals in off-road environments.
TOUGH ON THE OUTSIDE.
VERY COMFORTABLE ON THE INSIDE.
When your trucks work some of the toughest jobs around, you can’t underestimate the importance of comfort. The interior of the all-new 49X has the space, the ergonomics and the quality finish that make the long days for operators in construction, logging, quarry and other demanding environments a lot more comfortable. Explore it for yourself below.
- X-Series Base
- Quarry Grey
- Charcoal Black
- X-Series Premium
- Quarry Grey
- Timber Brown
- Charcoal Black
- Quarry Grey
- Charcoal Black
- Quarry Grey Mordura
- Charcoal Black Mordura
- Timber Brown Mordura
- Quarry Grey Diamond
- Charcoal Black Diamond
- Timber Brown Diamond
THE 49X DASH
The dash of the new 49X is a study in forward-thinking engineering and design,
with every decision made to let operators keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
THE 49X DAY CAB / SLEEPER
The 49X cab represents a leap forward not just in technology but in comfort. In the sleeper, you’ll find a number of features and options that let you create the living and working space your operators need when they’re on the job for extended times.
SLEEPER ROOF HEIGHTS AND LENGTHS
LOW ROOF SLEEPER
HIGH ROOF SLEEPER
OUR JOB IS TO KEEP YOU DOING YOURS.
The 49X represents a big advancement in productivity for vocational trucks thanks to Detroit Connect®. Detroit Connect translates the performance data of any type of truck — log trucks, mixers, dump trucks, heavy haul and more — into real-time information you can use to make the decisions that can help you keep those trucks working and earning.
DETROIT CONNECT VIRTUAL TECHNICIAN
When equipped with a Detroit® engine, Detroit Connect Virtual Technician® remote diagnostic service on the Western Star 49X will help you increase uptime. If your truck experiences a fault, Virtual Technician will send you an alert, notifying you of the severity of the fault as well as when, where and how to best fix it. Parts can be ordered for the issue ahead of time, so you can keep the vehicle in service instead of waiting for diagnosis or parts delivery.
Virtual Technician also tracks trends in fault codes, giving you advance warning of failure so you can plan to service the issue before it’s critical – and even sends dealers email notifications so parts can be ordered and on-hand when you come in to service your truck. It’s like having a team of experts from Detroit at your fingertips, working to keep your trucks on the job.
DETROIT CONNECT PORTAL
The Detroit Connect Portal gives owners the real-time data they need to make informed decisions about service, helping them reduce downtime and be more profitable. It offers a holistic view of a vehicle, allowing you to see each vehicle’s fault codes, as well as its full history of codes.
By tracking these trends, you can plan for downtime, taking a truck out of service when it’s most convenient for you, saving time and money. Additionally, it allows you to fix a problem before it becomes bigger and helps you improve or maintain the health of your trucks by adjusting to patterns you see, giving you a powerful tool to help you be even more successful.
MORE INFO AT
We work to deliver 24-hour repair turnaround with 1,100 Daimler Trucks North America dealer network and partner service locations to assist you, including more than 300 Elite Support locations that handle over 80% of our parts and service volume.
Western Star is your one-stop solution for parts and service. In addition to our service locations, we have 10 Parts Distribution Centers across North America that carry a wide selection of Western Star, Reman and Alliance parts. And with an average delivery time of 12 hours or less on more than 90% of parts orders, your truck will be back on the road fast.
We invest in technology that can keep your trucks working and working longer. And that goes well beyond technology like Detroit Connect®. With Western Star, you get a full suite of uptime management services and technology to get your trucks back working as soon as possible.
Strong support also means having a strong warranty. And Western Star trucks are backed by one of the strongest standard warranties in the business.
THE SAFEST AND MOST ADVANCED TRUCK WE'VE EVER BUILT.
INTRODUCING DETROIT ASSURANCE
Technology gets tough in the all-new 49X, the first Western Star to feature the most advanced suite of active safety systems ever offered to the vocational market — Detroit Assurance. But it not only helps keep people safe, it helps you reduce the repair and operational costs of having a truck out of service by avoiding collisions — which can mean game-changing productivity to you.
SIDE GUARD ASSIST
A game changer for safety in and around busy jobsites, Side Guard Assist detects objects on the passenger side of the truck and alerts the operator.
ACTIVE BRAKE ASSIST 5
Active Brake Assist 5 detects distance and speed to moving and stationary objects in its path and determines if braking is necessary. It’s the only system on the market that works down to 5 MPH, making it ideal for travel in congested urban areas. It also recognizes pedestrians who are about to cross in the truck’s path, alerting the operator while partially braking, followed by full braking if the operator does not react.
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL TO 0 MPH AND TAILGATE WARNING
Detroit Assurance technology enables state-of-the-art features such as Adaptive Cruise Control to 0 MPH and Tailgate Warning to ease driving in stop and go traffic, as well as help mitigate front and rear collisions as operators travel from one jobsite to the next.
POWERED BY PROVEN PERFORMANCE.
The Detroit7® DD15® Gen 5 is the latest achievement in industry-leading power and productivity from Detroit®. Engineered for greater reliability than ever before, the DD15 Gen 5 has the power and productivity to meet the demands of any application. Versatile enough to be used on construction sites, in quarries or in logging operations, it delivers the proven power that gets payloads moving quickly with longer maintenance intervals than ever before, all while achieving GHG21 compliance.
DETROIT DD15 GEN 5
Backed by years of proven performance, the new Detroit DD15 Gen 5 takes efficiency, reliability and durability to the next level. Perfect for any work site operation or off-road conditions, the DD15 delivers everything you need from an engine, including greater profitability.
The biggest, toughest and most powerful engine Detroit has ever produced, the DD16® is the only 16-liter engine available. And since it offers the longest service intervals in the industry, it tackles your hardest jobs while increasing uptime and profitability.
At just 2,050 pounds, the X12 is 600 pounds lighter than its predecessor, offering the highest power-to-weight ratio of any heavy-duty engine from 10 liters to 16 liters.
With power and productivity, the Cummins X15 offers all-around performance with features like superior fuel and lube filter capacity that offer longer service intervals to optimize operational costs.
DETROIT DT12 VOCATIONAL TRANSMISSIONS
Detroit has taken the millions of hours of reliability of the DT12 automated manual transmission and engineered it into two new models designed and tested with vocational customers in mind — the Detroit® DT12®-V and DT12®-VX. Now your operators can enjoy the rugged performance of the DT12 in pavers, dump trucks, logging trucks and more, no matter what remote corner of the world they’re working in.
49X SLEEPER OPTIONS
THE WESTERN STAR 49X
PROVEN LIKE NO OTHER
The new Western Star 49X has been tested and validated more than any Western Star before. We tested it. Then tested it again and again, in every imaginable condition until we made sure it would pass our tests, and yours.